Monday, July 17, 2017

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

If you are a viewer of the podcast then you know that I've been reading this series for the last few months. But don't worry, I finally had finished the books, so you no longer have to hear me mumble on and on about it. I had finished the sixth and last book in the series just to other day and thought, what better way to get back into blogging than a book/series review? Well, I don't really want to call this a review, it's more of a recommendation. Because I think that more people need to read these books.

I had first read the first four books when I was in high school. At the time only the four were out, so I was stuck with a major cliff-hanger while waiting for the fifth to be released. Sadly though, it took me a while to pick them up again, other books and life stuff happened. During that gap, I did complete my collection of the series by adding the last two to my library and the author had written a prequel series. She had also written an add-on book and two spin-off series, a movie (that sadly, wasn't that great) and a TV series on Free Form. So it had gained a lot of attention in the last few years since I had first read them. Which it deserves, it's a great Young Adult series.

Cassandra Clare does a great job with creating characters that you can relate to and builds a world around them that you can lose yourself in. She is influenced by J K Rowling and had started writing Harry Potter fanfiction and you can really tell by the way the Shadow world is fleshed out in her descriptions. I would say her books would fall into the Fantasy genre. It's full of supernatural creatures; demons, angels, werewolves, vampires, and fairies, and lore surrounding them. You follow the main character, Clary, on her journey into finding her way through being a Shadowhunter and solving some major family problems.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a series you want to lose yourself in. Check it out!

If you want to leave a suggestion on what you want to see on the blog and/or podcast leave a comment below or in the Ravelry group. Also, if you want to be up to date on what I've been reading lately and you don't keep up with the podcast, then add me on Goodreads.

Happy Reading!