Sunday, August 30, 2015

Year of Handmade :Prompt 16

Crafting Pet Peeves

I don't think I have very many pet peeves when it comes to crafting, but once I start to write about them there might be more then I thought there was. I know I have many non-crafting pet peeves but that's a whole other post for another day.But here are a few of my pet peeves that come to mind.

1. Us knitters who like to knit in public, know how it can get pretty annoying and sometimes uncomfortable having people stare at you like have two heads or did something horrible. Most of the time for me it's young people like me that give me that look and I shoot the same look right back at them. But I do get a handful of older people ask me what I'm making, what craft it is, how long have I've been doing that craft, and how did I learn it. Those kind of people I don't mind at all, the more people who ask me about the crafts the more they know about it and the high chance of them picking it up themselves. There needs to be more crafty people in the world.

2. When people tell me that they wouldn't be able to pick up a hobby because, "I don't have the time to start a hobby like that." ...I didn't have the time either, but I still learned it and when I did have time I worked on it. I'm sure if they would give up about an hour or two of screen time they would learn whatever they wanted to learn. Not having the time to do something is not an excuse, if you have time to check your social media the you have time to pick up a craft or a hobby, or anything that is more productive with the time you waste by staring at a screen.

3. "It looks too hard to learn." Anything that you try to learn will seems really hard to learn, but that's the point of learning something new. We all thought that something we were learning in school was hard, but look where you are now. You learned that thing and it made you a better person. You have to work for those kind of things, it's not going to come to you if you wish for it.

4. No, Knitting isn't just for little old ladies. If you think that then you need to get on Ravelry and talk to the lovely people there. I'm about to be 21 and I knit. And have been since I was 13 or 14. I don't think I'm an old lady, at least not yet.

5. If someone makes something for you, be grateful. They spent their hard earned money on getting the supplies to make your gift and used a lot of their free time to make it. If you don't take care of it or seem grateful then you will not be getting anything else from them again. Just remember the time that made that for you then could have made something else for themselves.

6. And my last and my biggest pet peeve. No, you can not hire me or pay me to make something for you. Yeah, there people who choose to sell the things that they make but I am not one of them. If I did decided to start charging, you wouldn't be able to afford it. Supplies can be expensive and if I was to work at minimum wage per hour it will also be expensive. You'll be looking at something that could cost you over $50, depending on the supplies and how long it can take me to finish it. My reason for not selling my stuff is because I do these crafts as a hobby not my job. I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I would like to if I felt stressed out about the end product.

There will probably be many more crafty pet peeves that pop up in the future but for now these are the ones that come to mind.

Do you have any crafting pet peeves? What are they?

Happy Crafting!

Sam<3